Dr. Karthikeyan Vanchilingam
DMRD FRCR (UK) M.Med (Singapore)
Dr Karthikeyan Vanchilingam DMRD FRCR (UK) M.Med (Singapore)
Dr. Karthikeyan Vanchilingam is a highly sought consultant interventional neuroradiologist in the UK. He obtained his MBBS degree from Annamalai University in 2006 and completed his post graduate training in diagnostic radiology at Sri Ramachandra University in 2008. His career as interventional neuroradiologist began in 2011 when he did his fellowship under one of India’s pioneers in neurointervention Dr. Santhosh Joseph at Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai. He acquired his FRCR with the Royal college of Radiology, UK and Masters in Medicine M. Med radiology with the National university of Singapore in 2013.
He spent 6 years in the UK underwent extensive training and worked as consultant in leading neuroscience centres including the Royal Preston Hospital, Institute of neurological sciences, Glasgow and the Royal London Hospital, London. He was a key member in re-establishing neurovascular intervention service in the Queen Elizabeth University hospital, Glasgow. He went on to work as consultant at The Royal London hospital Barts NHS trust, the busiest stroke thrombectomy centre in the UK wherein he worked alongside one of the best neurointerventional team in the western Europe.
His areas of expertise include,
- Endovascular coiling/flow-diverter stent treatment of complex brain aneurysms
- Endovascular onyx/squid/phil embolization of arteriovenous malformation and dural AV fistula
- Mechanical thrombectomy in acute ischemic stroke
- Carotid and intracranial stenting for secondary stroke prevention
- Cerebral venous thrombectomy for refractory cerebral venous sinus thrombosis
- Cerebral venous stenting for idiopathic intracranial hypertension
- Endovascular embolization for recurrent chronic subdural hematoma
- Endovascular treatment for refractory migraine
- Head and neck tumour embolization
- Spinal vascular malformations and tumour embolization
- Percutaneous embolization of cranio-facial vascular malformations
His vision is to develop and provide advanced therapeutic neurointerventional treatments in India achieving the best patient outcome at reasonably affordable costs. He consults online and at Vanchilingam advanced neurology and stroke, Chennai and Dr Vanchilingam hospital, Thanjavur.
- First to perform successful endovascular mechanical thrombectomy in acute ischemic stroke using an Envoy for aspiration technique in Southern India in 2013.
- First operator to perform mechanical thrombectomy in 13-year-old with basilar artery clot achieving complete recanalization and clinical recovery in Preston, UK in 2020.
- Audited and established trans-radial neurointervention service at the Royal Preston hospital, UK in 2020.
- Performed the first mechanical thrombectomy case in the pilot phase of stroke thrombectomy service for the west of Scotland at the Queen Elizabeth University hospital, Glasgow in 2021.
- Largest user of intrasaccular aneurysm treatment device (WEB) for acutely ruptured cerebral aneurysms in the UK in 2022.
- First operator in the UK to use scepter mini balloon for neck re-modelling in successful treatment of ruptured very wide-necked PICA aneurysm at the Institute of neurological sciences, Glasgow in 2022.
- Largest series of acute ischemic stroke tandem occlusions treated with mechanical thrombectomy and carotid stenting in the Institute of neurological sciences, Glasgow in 2022.
- First operator to use Walrus balloon guide catheter for mechanical thrombectomy in the UK in 2023.
- First operator to perform 6 successful mechanical thrombectomy procedures in a span of 18 hours in London at the Royal London hospital, UK in 2023.
- First to perform trans-radial intra-cranial stenting for intra-cranial atherosclerotic disease at Vanchilingam advanced neurology and stroke, Chennai in 2024.
- First to perform endovascular venous thrombectomy in Thanjavur delta for haemorrhagic infarct due to refractory cerebral venous sinus thrombosis at Dr Vanchilingam hospital, Thanjavur in 2024.
- First to perform endovascular middle meningeal artery embolization of acute on chronic subdural hematoma in Thanjavur delta at Dr Vanchilingam hospital, Thanjavur 2024.