We make sure that sufficient care is provided to the children so that they are able to lead a normal life.
What is Interventional Neurology?
Interventional Neurology is an advanced treatment procedure for neurological disorders. Interventional neurology is a subspecialty within neurology along with radiology treatment which specializes in the minimally invasive techniques and procedures which is based on an image. This is used in the diagnosis and treatment of several conditions or disease of the central nervous system in the human beings including the brain, spine & neck. Due to the fact that the techniques are image-based, interventional neurology is also referred to as interventional neuroradiology. Since these procedures involve work inside the blood vessels, they are also known as endovascular neurology or endovascular neuroradiology. These procedures are minimally invasive in nature which requires only a very small incision instead of a large one as in case of open surgery.
Procedures Performed by Our Specialists
Our hospital takes pride of the state of art neurovascular Cath Laboratory with the adequately trained, highly qualified and vastly experienced neurologists, interventional specialists, strokologists neuro anaesthetist, neurosurgeons, radiologists and other therapists who take care of every complicated procedure that need to be performed for the betterment of our patients. Some of the most important procedures performed by our specialists in the field of interventional neurology are listed below.
Thrombolytic Therapy or IA Thrombolysis
This is a procedure which uses clot-busting medications for the purpose of dissolving a clot occurring in the blood vessel in the brain or spine as a result of a stroke. This procedure can help in the complete reversal of even an acute stroke and hence a live-saving procedure for the affected individuals.
In this procedure, our trained interventional specialists insert a metallic wire which is very thin and forms a coil-like structure inside the brain aneurysm for blocking the flow of blood. Brain aneurysm is a bulged and weakened area in the artery wall in the brain which is at a high risk of bursting if not blocked.
This is the radiological procedure used for having a detailed look at the flow of the blood taking place in the brain so that any abnormality if detected can be treated almost instantaneously.
Carotid Artery Angioplasty or Stenting
In this procedure, our expert doctors make the use of a small balloon along with a very small metal scaffold referred to as a stent for the purpose of opening a narrowed carotid artery which is responsible for supplying blood to the brain. This is of great help in reducing the risk of a stroke and as well as secondary prevention.
Mechanical Thrombectomy for stroke :
In this procedure used mainly to treat major strokes and Large vessel Occlusions (LVO), specialised thrombectomy devices called stentrievers are used to capture the thrombus, remove it and to restore blood flow.
Interventional neurology department of our hospital encompasses the proper diagnosis and the treatment of a number of neurovascular conditions including spine and neck. A short list of the services offered by our hospital is discussed below.
Diagnostic and therapeutic cerebral, head, spine and neck angiography.
Detailed neurovascular evaluation and interventions include the following.
- Embolization of intracranial aneurysms including the head as well as the neck
- Embolization of all kinds of vascular malformations occurring in the region of the brain, head, neck, spine and spinal cord
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVM), Dural arteriovenous fistulas (DAVF), arteriovenous fistulas (AVF), Vein of Galen arteriovenous malformations (VGAM) and lymphatic malformations
- Intracranial disorders of the veins which include Dural sinus stenosis and pseudo-tumour cerebri
- Embolization of tumours
- Intra-arterial chemotherapy used for treating of tumours like progressive diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas and intraocular retinoblastoma
- Both intracranial and extracranial angioplasty, stenting and coiling assisted by stents
- Several strokes and stroke syndromes which include Moyamoya syndrome, arterial dissections etc. This involves the treatment of acute ischemic stroke with the help of clot retrieval devices
- A number of other vascular syndromes or anomalies like arterial dolichoectasia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, sinus pericranii etc.
Our state of art neuro speciality hospital has all the necessary infrastructure and along with the world-class doctors is quite certain to take care of all your neurological emergencies at its best.